Electric fences are designed to create an electrical circuit when touched by a person or animal. A component called a power energizer converts power into a brief high voltage pulse. One terminal of the power energizer releases an electrical pulse along a connected bare wire about once per second.
Another terminal is connected to a metal rod implanted in the earth, called a ground or earth rod. A person or animal touching the wire and the earth simultaneously will complete an electrical circuit and will conduct the pulse, causing a painful electric shock.
The effects of the electrical shock depend upon the voltage, the electric current used, and the degree of contact between the animal and the fence or ground; it can range from barely noticeable to uncomfortable, painful or even lethal.
Why use Electric Fencing for your Perimeter Security?
DETER, DETECT AND DELAY
- A high voltage shock combined with a physical barrier will deter anyone from attempting to penetrate the perimeter fence. The detecting ability of a Nemtek electric fence energizer will give an alarm when the perimeter of the property being protected has been infiltrated. By keeping the perimeter protected using an electric fence, the attempted break in of the protected area is delayed, giving additional time for a reaction team to respond.
WHY SECURITY ELECTRIC FENCING FOR GAME AND ANIMAL CONTROL?
- Traditionally electric fence energizers for animal farming control did not have a fence monitor to detect a break in the fence. The detecting feature has become an integral part of game and animal control. It allows the user to monitor the condition of the fence at the energizer without having to patrol the fence regularly, thus saving time and money. Poaching of game is an additional problem faced by game reserves and game farms but the security features offered by the Nemtek electric fencing energizers can assist in this battle. Electric fencing has proved to be one of the most cost effective, reliable and hassle free detection system available.
Advantages of an electric fence
- Easy installation on existing wall or fence, or as a stand-alone perimeter fence.
- Provides a physical barrier that delays the intrusion time.
- Provides an electric high voltage shock to intruders.
- Acts as a psychological barrier to deter intrusion attempts.
- Provides a higher level of detection capability to detect an intrusion attempt and set off the alarm, which can then be transmitted to the security personnel or company monitoring the site.
- Low maintenance costs.
- Maintenance is very low if installed according to design parameters. All brackets are galvanized with or without powder coating and all other components namely the wiring, nuts, bolts, springs, strainers and fasteners are 314/316 grade Stainless Steel.
- Easy of operation.
- Animals that receive an electric shock and are deterred without activating the alarm. Animals learn very quickly not to come into contact with the fence.
- Accidental human contact with the fence will provide an electric shock that will alert a person not to tamper or come in contact with the fence.
- The electric wires also serve as a perimeter fence, alleviating the need to erect additional, fencing.
- Reduced cost of security personnel.
How the electric fence system works
- Keeping safety in mind the system works by sending a high-voltage electrical pulse around a multi-wire perimeter fence. The potential involved may be on the order of 2,500 to 12,000 volts.
- The source of the high-voltage electrical pulse is an electric fence “energiser”.
- When an individual trying to breach the fence, comes into contact with the fence by climbing over/under, the “Live” fence will become part of an electrical circuit between the output terminals of an energiser, a high voltage pulse will flow through the body of the individual to the closest earth, leaving the perpetrator temporarily incapacitated.
- The strength of the shock depends upon the power available from the energiser, and the total resistance of the circuit.
- Electric Fencing not only offers effective protection but also a psychological deterrent, if the fence wires are deflected by vertical movement, contacting strands either side or cutting the strands, the system will cause a short circuit on the fence line, and trigger the alarm, giving an audible and visual indication of a fence breach.
- The fence controller is a monitored alarm system; the fences can be zoned for easier detection of breaching.
- False alarms are virtually non-existent, as the fence will only go into alarm when a concerted effort is made to break the perimeter security.
- Our existing clients have reported the system as paying for itself within twelve months of installation.
- To date this system has proven to be a very reliable and highly effective security system. In sites previously subjected to a number of attacks the system has eliminated all losses and in some cases removed the need for a resident security guard.
- The system is capable of protecting and controlling anywhere from one to 100+ zones each of 50-150 meters in distance. This provides a very flexible solution for most requirements.
Features of Electric Fencing
- High voltage monitor will alarm when the live wires are tampered with.
- Earth wire monitor will alarm when the earth wires are tampered with.
- Powder coating offers additional anti corrosion protection which is optional.
- Easy to use tag switch for controlling the unit.
- Can be upgraded to a Merlin 4 energizer.
- Connectable to an armed response radio.
- Gate monitor input monitors the position of the gate to indicate if the gate is open.
- Lightning and power surge suppression built in to reduce the possibility of damage due to power surges.
- Battery backup system in case of power failure.
- Intelligent power saving to extend the battery life and save energy.
- Siren and strobe outputs to indicate fence condition.
Get in Contact
Call Lazer Security on 0860 SECURITY or click the button for a quote on your electric fencing needs.